Wednesday, September 23, 2009

White Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Icing


Baking is one of my favorite things to do. When a special occasion arises I love to make this cake. When someone in my family has a birthday, I usually cook and bake their favorite things. I love baking and cooking for others, especially when it is so appreciated. This cake is my husband and step-son's favorite cake, so I make it often. It is the moistest cake that I have found and the icing is so good.

I found this recipe is my Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book I received as a gift in 1990. I have found some great recipes in this cook book.

I will give you a couple of my secrets. I always use vanilla bean paste. It makes a world of difference in the taste. It brings out the vanilla. I buy mine at Williams & Sonoma. I also use a large stand mixer with the paddle attachment. The paddle attachment gives you a smoother and thicker batter.

White Cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 t vanilla
4 egg whites

Oven 350 degrees

In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/8 t salt. Add buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl. Beat on medium to high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl.

Pour into 2 greased and floured round baking pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean; do not over bake. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Loosen sides. Remove pans. Cool thoroughly on wire rack.

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting

1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sour cream
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool about 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating till smooth and of spreading consistency. Frost sides and tops of cake layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment